Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Anthony Bourdain visits Montana, "Big Sky Country"


Anthony Bourdain’s visit  (for CNN's "Parts Unknown") to “Big Sky Country” in Montana focuses somewhat on the history of the Anaconda copper mine, 900 feet deep, near Butte, which I visited on vacation in May 1981.  It actually snowed while I was there.   Bourdain called Butte a union town in a red state/



The night before I had diverted to Helena to hear a pep-talk forum in a Days Inn, “Feeling Good About Yourself.”  No, you can’t be a motivational speaker and tell the truth.

Bourdain also made an extended visit to an underground mine.  I think I saw Flathead Lake near Kalispell in the broadcast.  He also visited Livingston, a Hollywood locale and author Norman Maclean ("A River Runs Through It", a 1992 film).

Wikipedia attribution link for ugly lake in Berkeley Pit  (by Kolopres, CCSA 3.0).

No comments: